What's Not Available in Gmail
You'll find that Gmail provides robust, business-class features, many of which are not available in mail applications like Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes. However, some of the features and capabilities you might be used to in these other applications aren’t available in Google Apps, including:
- Message alerts -- To see a message "snippet" in the lower-right corner of your desktop when a new message arrives, you’ll need to install the standalone Google Talk client.
- Message flags (such as Important and Follow-up) -- However, you can use stars and labels to highlight messages in your Inbox.
- Column sorting -- You can't sort messages by clicking the column headings in your Inbox. However, you can use Gmail search options to list messages in order according to sender and date.
- Message recall -- If you send a message that you wish you hadn't, you can't recall it to prevent recipients from opening it (unless you enable the Undo Send lab in Gmail labs).
- Read/Return receipts -- There's no option to get a notification when a recipient opens your message.
- View options -- You can't change the placement of the reading or preview pane or move any components in the Mail window.
- Multiple email signatures -- Multiple signatures are not available in Gmail at this time.